Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Brown Sugar Cookies

Another addition to my holiday treats I gave out this year was Brown Sugar Cookies.  The recipe is from my Best Bakesale Cookbook that I bought to support Cookies for Kids' Cancer.  I had everything in my pantry, so this was easy to throw together.

My cookies didn't end up looking like the picture next to the recipe (they look like they spread out nicely, mine didn't spread so much) but I think that the flavors were all still there, so I don't think it was that much of an issue.  I used my deep teaspoon scoop to put them on the baking sheet.  After I did my first batch and noticed they weren't spreading, I ended up flattening the next few trays, which made them look a bit better.

I had made different things for my family and my husband's family (mostly due to the Chanukah parties being a week apart and wanting to try new things and not just repeat everything for the second round).  These were in the second round, so they went to my in-laws.  When it came time for handing out presents, I passed the treats out to everyone.  About 10 minutes later I see my husband's uncle sitting on the couch popping these in  his mouth one after another.  I gave a good amount of cookies to each family, but I'm not quite sure my husband's aunt got to enjoy any of these, as they were most likely gone by the time they got in the car to go home!






Brown Sugar Cookies (as printed in Best Bakesale Cookbook)

Ingredients
1 1/2 stick butter (6oz)  unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg and beat well.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Place the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a separate bowl and mix well.  Add to the butter mixture and beat until everything is well incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat again.
- Drop large teaspoonfuls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and bake until the edges are just brown (8 - 12 minutes).
- For crispy cookies, let cook on the sheet.
- Let the cookie sheet cool completely between batches and repeat with the remaining dough.

1 comment:

  1. I love the brown sugar twist on a regular sugar cookie. I also like the idea of adding the ginger and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete