Monday, April 9, 2012

Spanish Chicken and Veggie Kugel

It's Passover once again.  Growing up, Passover was the time of year when you order a ton of candy from the catalog you brought home from Hebrew school, and then spent the rest of the week eating things out of a box marked Manischewitz that probably tasted like cardboard (the food...not the box).  In recent years, though Manischewitz foods and mixes have gotten a bit better, I've also realized that I can still eat like a normal person with minimal adjustments (if any) to my recipes.  This week I will be blogging several of my family's recipes that have become a staple of our Passover diets for years in addition to a few new recipes.

When my husband and I sat down and looked at this year's calendar and figured out our holiday schedule, we decided to spend the first seder up in Massachusetts with my mom's family and the second night at his parents' home.  We wanted to spend some time this holiday with my father's parents, so we invited them over to our apartment for lunch.  I looked over my recipes and aside from making my grandmother's gefilte fish (recipe to be posted later this week) for an appetizer  I chose to make as our main course Spanish chicken with a side of veggie kugel.

The veggie kugel recipe is from my friend (and bridesmaid) Jamie.  She sent it to me a few months back and mentioned as an aside that if you swap matzah meal for the flour, you can make it for Passover.  It includes potato, carrots, zucchini (which I admit I had never tried prior to making this the first time!), onion and a few binders, then it cooks for an hour.  So simple!

The Spanish chicken is a recipe that my sister-in-law (and also a bridesmaid) gave me at my shower in the recipe book they put together for me.  It seemed pretty easy and the flavors seemed to be something that most people would enjoy (chicken stock, white wine, garlic...what's not to like?!).  It came out super moist.  I ended up doubling the recipe and cooking it in two separate roasting pans so I didn't have to layer everything, so I added about 10 min to the cooking time and an extra 5 to the broiling time.  Below is the single batch recipe.

I literally spent all day yesterday cooking, so I intend to share lots of recipes over the next few days.  Whether or not you celebrate Passover, you'll be able to add at least a few of these to your cooking repertoire.


Spanish Chicken (original source unknown)

Ingredients
3lbs chicken (I used leg quarters and drumsticks)
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
5 cloves garlic
8oz white wine (I used Kedem white cooking wine, which was kosher for Passover)
8oz chicken broth

Directions
- Rub Chicken with oil
-Place 4oz wine in food processor.  Add garlic and whirl until blended together.  Add 4oz chicken broth in processor and whirl together.  Add salt to taste.
-Pour mixture over chicken (add the other 4oz of wine and broth if the mixture does not cover the chicken) and marinate overnight.
- In morning, flip pieces to marinate both sides.
-Place chicken and marinade in baking dish (if you already had it in a roasting pan, just flip chicken right-side up and use same pan).
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 15 min.
-Remove foil, baste chicken and continue to bake, uncovered, for 45 min.
-Baste chicken (and remove excess liquid if chicken is too covered but don't remove it all) and broil for 5 minutes to darken the chicken.


Veggie Kugel (from Jamie at Skinny Apple, Fat Appetite)

Ingredients
2 lg carrots, grated
2 med zucchini, grated
2 med potatoes, grated
1/2 cup onion 
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil                                        
3/4 cup flour (or matzo meal during Passover)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor grate carrots, zucchini, potatoes, and onion (If you want a good arm workout feel free to use a hand grater).
- In a large bowl use a whisk to combine eggs and oil.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the flour and stir.
- Add in flour (or matzo meal)
 - Pour ingredients into a greased 9 x 13 pan, bake at 350 degree for one hour or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment