Monday, November 26, 2012

Honey Cornbread Muffins

I know it's been a while since my last post.  A lot has gone on since then - a hurricane which led to a week with no power, then trying to get caught up with life before going away for a week, and then Thanksgiving.  What a month it's been!

Speaking of Thanksgiving, here is a favorite recipe of mine.  My family's gatherings are quite large.  Back in the day, my grandmother played host to so many people that the already-large-enough-for-20 table was extended so it went from one end of the large dining room all the way into the living room!  Now my aunt & uncle play host and this year had about 25 people.  As with most holiday meals, some guests bring food to contribute to the meal.  A few years back I was trying to come up with a side dish I could bring.  I decided that I wanted to bring cornbread, but how could that be served easily to the large crowd?  I could make it in a large baking dish and cut it up to serve, OR I could just make them the easy to share size of mini muffins!  I found this recipe online at FoodNetwork.com.  It's super easy to follow, and easy to convert to mini-muffins.

Now each year this is one of the things I contribute to our Thanksgiving meal, always to rave reviews.



Honey Cornbread Muffins (from Food Network's Down Home with the Neelys)

Ingredients
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk (I used skim)
2 large eggs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup honey

Directionss
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Into a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the whole milk, eggs, butter, and honey. 
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.

(for full-sized muffins):
- Place muffin paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin. 
- Evenly divide the cornbread mixture into the papers.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden
Yields 12 muffins

(for mini muffins):
- spray mini-muffin pan with Pam
- evenly divide the cornbread mixture into the tin (I used approx 2 tbsp per cup)
- Bake for 12 minutes until golden
Yields approx 40 mini-muffins

1 comment:

  1. They were absolutely delicious! Because of the abundance of food, the mini size was a perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete