When I sign up for a recipe swap, I usually look through my assigned blog and try to find something that would fit perfectly into my week's menu plan, usually as a main dish. This was not that kind of a swap. I fully admit that this recipe choice is a case of "why not to choose a dish on an empty stomach". As I looked through The Cookaholic Wife's recipe index this S'mores Pie jumped out at me. I knew that I needed to make this immediately.
This pie was so easy to make and was just as delicious as I expected it to be. I would be more afraid of just how much of the pie I'll end up eating if it weren't for the fact that my husband already ate 2 slices. So I think my waistline will be just fine....until the next time I make the pie.
Thank you again to Sarah at A Taste of Home Cooking for hosting the swap!
S'mores Pie (from The Cookaholic Wife)
1 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (approx 10-11 sheets)
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
10 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
marshmallows (either 1 cup mini, whole or 16 large, halved)
- Preheat oven to 325
- Put the graham crackers in food processor and pule until crumbs. Stir the butter into the crumbs until combined, then press the crumb mixture into a 9" pie plate. Place the pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
- Heat the heavy cream and milk in a saucepan over a medium-law flame until it simmers slightly around the edges. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate until melted. Whisk in the sugar and salt. In a separate bowl lightly beat the two eggs, then add slowly to the chocolate mixture while whisking.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the crust. Bake for 25-30 min until set.
- Remove the pie from the oven and spread a layer of marshmallows on top. Set the oven to broil and put the pie back in the oven until the marshmallows are toasted (approx 20 seconds).
- Let the pie cool slightly, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
*** It's recommended to heat the pie in the microwave for about 10 seconds before eating for an extra gooey bite***