My only complaint about this is that it says the total time is 1 hour, 10 min. This might be the case if you start with sliced eggplant, chopped onions, etc, but I'd say it took me a good 45 minutes just slicing, chopping and prepping to make this. In addition, "quickly brown"ing the 1 1/2 pound of eggplant wasn't done as "quickly" as it sounds!
You can tell by comparing my picture and the one from the original recipe, mine didn't seem to have as much cheesiness to it (though I used exactly how much the recipe called for). Maybe next time I'll add extra mozzarella and sauce to the top layer. I should also spread out the layers more so everything is even.
In general, it was very simple to make and it tasted delicious. And between the eggplant and mushrooms, it gave me a good serving of veggies.
1 1/2 pounds eggplant, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
16 ounces sliced mushrooms
9 lasagna noodles
1 jar (16 ounces) spaghetti sauce with vegetables
8 ounces ricotta cheese, part-skim
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large nonstick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray, quickly brown eggplant slices; set aside.
- In the same skillet in hot olive oil, cook onion for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling salted water according to package directions.
- Into an 11x7-inch baking dish, spoon about 1/4 of the sauce.
- Arrange three alternate layers of lasagna noodles, ricotta, mushroom mixture, mozzarella cheese, eggplant slices, sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake eggplant lasagna at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes.