Monday, March 5, 2012

Sweet Potato Burgers

I am constantly in search of new recipes to try and I came upon this one for Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers on Pinterest.  Now, there are two foods that I have been obsessed with over the past year or so...sweet potato and avocados.  Put them both in a recipe?  I'll make it next chance I get!

I adapted the recipe a slight bit.  The original recipe says it makes "7-8 large patties".  That just sounded like too much since there are only two of us, so I adjusted a bit and only used 1 can of cannelini beans and although it says "1 large sweet potato (about 2 cups)" I used one medium-large potato which seemed to yield a little over a cup.  The rest of the ingredients I halved as well (for the flour I eyeballed half of my 1/4 cup).

The rolls we bought were very large wheat ones, so I tried to make the patties the size of the rolls.  What I ended up with was one large patty, one extra large patty, and one small patty with what was left in the bowl.  I also was making this after work, so to "bake" the sweet potato I put it in the microwave for 4 1/2 minutes, then let it cool enough to peel.  When I went to cook the patties, they ended up burning a little bit on the first side (I then turned the high heat down a bit when I flipped them).  I honestly don't know how long it ended up cooking for in the end.  But thankfully no ingredients needed to be cooked to be eaten, so I wasn't worried about undercooking it.

The last obstacle I ran into was that I didn't have a masher (guess who needs to make a run to Bed Bath and Beyond??!!), so  I used a serving fork to mash the ingredients  The only problem with this was that some of the beans didn't get fully mashed, but I did the best that I could...



Sweet Potato Burgers (slightly adapted from the Happy Healthy Life vegan blog)

Ingredients
1 can cannellini white beans, drained
1 medium-large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed
1 Tbsp tahini
1 tsp agave syrup
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/8 cup wheat flour
optional: additional seasoning - I used a little salt and a little pepper
Panko crumbs
vegetable oil for pan
Whole wheat rolls.  
Toppings - avocado, tomato, Dijon mustard

Directions
- Bake sweet potato. Peel, place in large mixing bowl.
- Add drained beans to mixing bowl. Mash beans and potato together.
- Mash in seasoning, flour and any additional seasoning.  Your mixture will be quite soft and moist, but you should be able to form a patty. Add more flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs - or dry rice to thicken the mixture if needed.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan over high heat.
- Form a patty from mixture and thickly coat in Panko crumbs.
- Drop the patty in the pan.
- Repeat until the pan is filled.
- Cook until browned on both sides.
- Transfer cooked patties to paper towel and cool for a few minutes.
- Serve on bun with toppings of choice.

**Note from original recipe: yes this patty does fall kind of apart as you eatit. But that is OK because it tastes yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment