I was invited to a barbecue at a dear friend''s house earlier this month and I knew this would be the perfect treat to bring as my contribution to the meal. They keep kosher as well, so I knew I would need to make these parve. I asked around to some blogger friends and after reviewing a few dairy-free brownie recipes I settled on one from Cathy's Kitchen Journey. Except when I went to make it I didn't have time to get the espresso powder, so I essentially made the recipe she adapted from (I left out the nuts in case of allergies as well). Though I realized toddlers were going to be eating these so I should probably omit it anyway otherwise you probably didn't want to be around these little ones come bedtime!
The intended date this post was to go live was actually ON National S'more Day, however I decided to do a second try and adjust how I assembled the brownies. You see, I had originally made them using kosher mini marshmallows, which I had chopped to try to make them a little gooey-er (for whatever reason I find them never get as gooey as non-kosher marshmallows). They tasted good, but a guest at the party had commented that she couldn't eat them because she's vegetarian (and therefore couldn't eat the fish gelatin). She mentioned that if I had used Fluff she could have eaten it, as it does not have any gelatin. A light went off in my head. This was the perfect substitution in the brownies! So, thankfully my nephew was having a birthday last weekend, so I quickly offered to bring some brownies to share with the guests.
my first attempt
The final result is delicious and definitely something that I will be making again. It really isn't much harder than baking brownies out of a box!
Brownie S'mores (adapted from AllRecipes.com)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa power
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup vegetable oil, divided
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
8oz (approx) Fluff
3 large rectangles graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13in pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cocoa powder and baking soda. Add 1/3 cup vegetable oil and boiling water. Mix until well blended and thickened.
- Stir in the sugar, eggs (one at a time) and remaining 1/3 cup oil.
- Add the flour, vanilla, and salt. Mix just until the flour is blended in.
- Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30min.
- While it's baking, put the graham crackers in the food processor (breaking into smaller pieces as you put them in). Pulse until they are a fine crumble.
- Remove the pan from the oven (do not turn the oven off!).
- Spoon Fluff over the brownies, letting it sit approx 1 minute before spreading (it's much easier to spread after it's melted a bit).
- Sprinkle the graham cracker dust over the marshmallows, gently pressing down to help it stick to the Fluff.
- Bake an additional 5-7 min.
- Allow to cool before cutting and serving.